Restorative Yoga Teacher Training (Online)
June 4 - June 6
Restorative yoga is the art of being, not doing. Restorative yoga sets the body up in positions to passively stretch while being supported by props. This extra support from the props releases the mind from trying to keep the body engaged or to work through unnecessary tension so the mind and the body can work toward full rest and rejuvenation. Restorative yoga helps the nervous system to remember how to rest when stress is high, stimulates circulation, and releases tension. A restorative yoga teacher training is a wonderful way to augment your teaching skills to offer students a venue for deep relaxation.
This restorative yoga teacher training online will offer insight into the foundational restorative yoga postures and how they can be sequenced to offer full-length and short restorative yoga practices. Perfect for anyone who wants to learn more about restorative yoga, build a restorative yoga practice, and yoga teachers who want to offer a gentler practice in their classes and with private students. Each session will offer a combination of theory, application, practice, and teaching.
In today’s culture of overachieving and multi-tasking, it is little wonder that most people indicate having moderate to high levels of stress. Stress can present itself physically in the body through tension headaches, muscle or joint pain, fatigue, and a foggy mind. Restorative yoga allows the body to rest and reap the benefits of the functions of the parasympathetic nervous system.
Learning Objectives for Restorative Yoga Teacher Training:
- Create a nurturing and well-rounded restorative yoga class
- Teach effectively in person and online
- Breakdown the set-up of key restorative yoga postures and understand modifications, benefits, and contraindications
- Learn to appropriately support different bodies with props for deep rest
- Discover ways to utilize at home items as props
- Learn to transform almost any asana posture into a restorative posture
- Cultivate language and insight to build sequences around body areas, desired effect, or general sense of calm
- Investigate spinal alignment to determine how to best support the body
- Work with different techniques to guide and support students through their rest
- Uncover breathing techniques to bolster your sequence’s desired effect and support relaxation
- Learn different ways to sequence and cue a class based on your environment and availability of props
- Recognize when students are uncomfortable and how to best assist them verbally and with prop adjustments
- Gain an understanding of the basics of how the nervous system works and how the parasympathetic nervous system functions for stress management
Friday, June 4: 9a-1p and 2-5p (EST)
Saturday, June 5: 9a-1p and 2-5p (EST)
Sunday, June 6: 9a-12p (EST)
$199 before May 21, $249 after (registration is required by 5pm June 3)
A minimum of 10 students is required for the training to run.
Required Reading: Restorative Yoga: Relax. Restore. Re-energize. by Caren Baginski
Although this course is designed for yoga teachers, anyone is welcome and no experience is required. There will be components of teaching the techniques to other participants which non-teachers are invited to participate in or use as a break.
Angelina Fox, ERYT500, YACEP, is an Ayurveda Health Counselor and Yoga Teacher who has been teaching restorative yoga for over a decade. Angelina has trained with Shannon Paige in the Anjali Restorative Method® and G Bernard Wandel, an assistant teacher to Judith Hanson Lasater. Angelina believes that through deep rest it is possible to transform our way of being from stress to peace, from restless to calm by tapping in to the wise mind and calming the monkey mind. Spending lots of time on the water offering SUP yoga, teaching arm balances, resting with legs up the wall, frequenting her apiary, or nerding out planning an edible and medicinal meadow in her yard, Angelina loves every bit of her yoga journey and can’t wait to learn with you. Find out more at www.yogawithangelina.com
This workshop is available for 16 contact CEUs and 4 non-contact CEUs with Yoga Alliance. Yoga teachers must have 100% attendance with video on at all times, participate in the teaching component, and complete the quiz with a 70% or higher to receive the certificate.
Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times by Judith Hanson Lasater
Restore and Rebalance: Yoga for Deep Relaxation by Judith Hanson Lasater
Restorative Yoga: with Assists A Manual for Teachers and Students of Yoga by Sue Flamm (Puja)
Restorative Yoga for Ethnic and Race-Based Stress and Trauma by Gail Parker
Boundless Bliss: A teacher’s guide to instruction of restorative yoga by Chris Loebsack
Essentials of Managing Stress by Brian Luke Seaward
Light on Pranayama by B K S Iyengar